If 2016 has shown us anything it’s that tyrants are relentless. Their job is never done, their task is never complete.
Let’s look back to 2013. Not that long ago, but memories are as short as news cycles.
Not letting a tragedy go to waste, after Sandy Hook, CA legislators proposed a laundry list of anti gun laws that may sound familiar. San Jose Mercury News reported back on Februrary 7, 2013:
“The 10-bill package constitutes the single largest gun control push in decades in the Golden State, which already boasts some of the nation’s strictest gun laws. It joins equally controversial proposals from Assembly Democrats that would regulate and tax ammunition sales and consider taking the state’s 166,000 registered assault weapons from their owners.”
To have the Mercury News call laws CA Democrats propose “controversial” is saying something. But let’s take a look at these controversial bills proposed three years ago:
• All semi auto rifles with detachable magazines would be registered as assault weapons, and bans future sales, manufacturing, and transferring (and when you die, your children must turn them in to the state or move them out of state).
• Ban “Bullet Buttons” used to comply with current assault weapon laws (originally introduced by our beloved imprisoned gun-running Senator Leeland Yee).
• Long guns to be registered with the state upon purchase, the way handguns are.
• Ban possession of +10rd magazines.
• Require a background check every time you buy ammunition.
• Ban loaning your gun to someone.
• Allows Justice Dept to use DROS fees to go after prohibited registered gun owners (which is not what the fees are for).
If a lot of these laws sound familiar, it’s because even if they didn’t pass back in 2013, they have brought them back year after year until they DO pass.
They attempted to pass registering all semi auto rifles as assault weapons this year, but were only able to get Bullet Buttoned rifles. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and this will be brought up again. They’ll call it “closing the featureless loophole” or something equally cute and alarming.
Classifying all 80% receivers as actual firearms? Vetoed this year, see you next year.
Requiring serial numbers on all your antique and home made firearms? Vetoed this year, see you next year.
They also weren’t able to get through the confiscation of the current 166,000 registered assault weapons, but with Gavin Newsom as the next Governor of the Late Great State of California, with the newly classified Bullet Buttoned assault weapons, with the desire to classify all semi auto rifles as assault weapons… if the best predictor of the future is the past, all these new and old registered assault weapons WILL be confiscated. These tyrants are relentless; there is no debate, no discussion. They told us in 2013 that they would:
When legislators say “nobody’s trying to take your guns”… they’re trying to take your guns. See you and your laws again next year.
Or the year after that.